I always wanted to own a Mac but I never was able to make my mind to buy one until I came across a post by Lifehacker on how to turn your PC into a Mac or more likely as we say a Hackint0sh!🙂
Let us see how I installed Mac OS X Mountain Lion 10.8.0 and updated it to 10.8.2 on my Intel PC. This is a clean install and the only OS on my machine. This post is specifically for the Asus P5W DH Deluxe motherboard.
My System Configuration :
- Motherboard: Asus P5W DH Deluxe
- Graphics: GeForce 9500 GT 512 MB
- Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
- Hard disk: Seagate 500 GB 7200rpm SATA drive
- Memory: 4GB
- BIOS Version:
32003002 (Thank You Joe)
Yes it’s a pretty old machine but I love it..
BIOS Settings for P5W DH Deluxe for a perfect Hackint0sh! :
- Go to IDE configuration and change the IDE/SATA mode to AHCI
- Enable Execute Disable function
- Turn off Speedstep Settings (unless you plan to use a hacked speedstep kernel)
- Change the JMicron Controller to AHCI ( if you using RAID, otherwise disable it.. )
- MicroCode Update: Enable
- Max CPUID : Enable
- ACHI2 support: Yes
- ACPI APIC: Enabled
- Suspended mode : S3
Things you will need to install Mac on your PC :
- Original Install DVD of Mountain Lion. Purchase it online from the App Store or you can buy one from Croma/Mac Stores around the city. I used an ISO
- A PC/Virtual machine running a Mac. I had Snow Leopard installed in Virtual Box on my Windows 7 machine. I used it to create my Bootable USB using Unibeast
- Minimum 8 GB USB drive. This will be used to boot your machine to install the Mac on your PC
- UniBeast and MultiBeast. Download the updated and current version of UniBeast and Multibeast that are available from the downloads section of the tonymacx86 website (free of charge registration required).
Let us begin…
Preparing your USB Drive for UniBeast
- The first step is to create a bootable USB drive containing OS X Mountain Lion. With the formatted USB plugged into an available USB port on your PC (for Virtualbox to identify your drive you need to install virtualbox extensions before your virtualbox will identify any USB device connected to the host OS). Open Finder and navigate to /Applications/Utilities/Disk Utilityand select the USB drive in the left column.
- Now, look on the right side and select the Partition tab. From the Partition Layout dropdown menu select 1 Partition, and from the Format dropdown, select Mac OS Extended (Journaled).
- Select the Options button under Partition Layout and make sure Master Boot Record option is selected (This is necessary to create a bootable USB for PCs). Click Ok.
- Give your USB drive an appropriate name and hit Apply to format your drive.
Prepare your USB drive using Unibeast
- Run the UniBeast application that was downloaded earlier. If UniBeast is giving you an error message like Mountain Lion is missing, make sure that the installation file downloaded from the Mac App Store is in the /Applicationsfolder. If you are using and ISO or a DVD Installer you need to do the following to copy the installation file to the /Applications folder.
- Open Finder
- Open the Utilities folder
- Open a terminal window
- Copy and paste the following line in and press return:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles YES
- Now hold ‘alt’ on the keyboard and right click on the Finder icon and click RelaunchNow you are able to see all hidden files or folders. One you are done, perform the steps above however, replace the terminal command in step 4 with:
defaults write com.apple.Finder AppleShowAllFiles NO
- Now run UniBeast again (if it failed earlier) and click on continue until you are asked to select the drive. Select the USB drive and click on continue. You will be asked to enter your password, enter it and click Ok. UniBeast will look for the Mountain Lion install app in the /Applications folder and will install it to the USB drive. During installation, you will get two options in Installation Type; Legacy USB Support and Laptop Support. Check Laptop Support if you’re installing on a Laptop and Legacy Supportif you have an Intel processor and the model number is three digits long. I didn’t select any options and continued with my installation.
- Click continue to start with the install.It will take 15 to 20 minutes to complete the install as huge files are being copied to the USB drive. Go have a beer😉 and return..
Install the Mountain Lion …
By now your USB must be ready. Reboot your Hackint0sh PC with your USB plugged in and press F8 to enter the boot menu once the boot sequence has started. Once you have reached the boot menu select the USB drive and press enter. If all goes well you will see a screen similar to the following screenshot..
For P5W DH Deluxe you need to enter some bootflags for it to boot to the installation welcome screen. Once you have reached the screen (as above) just start typing the following line:
and press enter to boot the machine. Wait for some time till you see the welcome screen.
Once you click on the arrow button in the above screen following screen will appear. Do not hit continue since your hard disk isn’t ready to install OS X yet. Instead, go to Utilities from the menu bar and select Disk Utility.
Now this is the same Disk Utility you used on the Mac when preparing the USB drive. Select your PC hard disk and go to the Partition tab. Here, select 1 Partition from Partition Layout, set Format to Mac OS Extended (Journaled), and then hit Options to select GUID Partition Table in the panel that slides open. Once done, hit Apply to prepare your hard disk for Mac OS X Mountain Lion.
Once done, you will return to the Mountain Lion Installer and the newly formatted hard disk will appear as an available disk to install the OS. Select it and click Install. Installation can take up to 30 minutes and there is little you will have to do during the process. Once installation is complete, set up your Mac (language, Apple ID etc).
You should now see the signature galaxy background, the Dock and the Menu Bar. You’ve successfully installed Mountain Lion.
But you still need the USB drive every time you need to boot into your Hackint0sh PC. For that you need to use the Multibeast tool which was downloaded earlier.
Run multibeast and select the following options (for P5W DH Deluxe)
TRIM Enabler is for the SSD Drives. If you don’t have a SSD drive don’t select that option. Click on continue and install. Once done you need to shutdown your hackintosh, remove the USB drive and if everything went well you will see the login screen.
Everything except Realtek RTL8187L WIFI Card. 32bit drivers are available for this card but for Mountain Lion you need 64bit drivers. If you know how to get this card working do leave a comment or point me to a how-to.
Updating to 10.8.2
To update your hackint0sh to the latest update 10.8.2. Download the combo update from apple website
Make sure that you back up any important data, and if possible clone your hard drive before applying the update. If you have any issues post-update, boot using UniBeast.
After applying the Update I didn’t face any problems except that the sound was missing. Run MultiBeast (see above) and install VoodooHDA 0.2.7.3 Kext. That’s it.
Still everything works except the WIFI Card… anyone reading this please help me out to fix this issue.🙂
Thank you for reading. Hope you have successfully built your hackintosh after reading this post.
Until next time.. Be Curious..